State-of-the-State New Jersey Manufacturing is an NJMEP-led initiative to increase legislator awareness about the importance of manufacturing and STEM to our state. Please sign NJMEP’s petition. For any questions, call 973-998-9801
Dear New Jersey State & Federal Delegation,
We the undersigned are all New Jersey-based Manufacturers, STEM-Support companies, and Partners of NJMEP’s (New Jersey Manufacturing Extension Program), and we are offering this discourse as one of complete support and of great concern, as this critical program continues to fight for sustainability and growth, even in this time of great resurgence.
The NIST-MEP National Network is a key to an Industry that drives financial health in the United States and in New Jersey.
We made some solid progress in 2019:
- 100% Bi-Partisan Support from our Federal Delegation for NIST-MEP & a $145 million National Budget
- The continuation of a Bi-Partisan NJ Manufacturing Caucus led by Senators Linda Greenstein and Steven Oroho
- GAINS & PACE Pre-Apprentice & Apprentice Programs & Bills
- Workforce Development Job Training Bills
- Passage of the ‘Securing our Children’s Future’ Bonding Act – supports CTE Schools
- Sales Tax Exemption Bill – S-515
- Hosting one of the top rated MEP Center in the nation in NJMEP
- Returning NJMEP to the Annual State Budget
However, there are concerns that will impact business in 2020:
- Workforce development & staffing
- Federal tariffs on aluminum and steel
- Cyber-attacks on manufacturers causing production lines to shut down
- One of the Highest Corporate Tax Rate in the country
- Outmigration of companies & people
- Continuation of State Pension short-falls that curtails investment into other Sectors
- Energy Concerns that include a Nuclear Energy Subsidy and a CO2 ‘Cap & Trade’ Regional program
- $15 Minimum Wage Increase Plan
- Storm water Utility Tax, Expansion of Family & Sick Leave offerings, and limiting of Non-Compete Agreements
In order to see change, New Jersey’s manufacturers must continue to unite with legislators, educators and the public. Creating career pathways and apprenticeship programs will also help solve industry challenges. Manufacturing has a great story to tell and manufacturing generates revenues for government and creates good jobs for working people.
As we continue to work more closely with the Bi-Partisan Manufacturing Caucus, it’s extremely important for companies to come to Trenton on session days, either to testify before the Caucus or to be there to support those who are in order to address/raise concerns.
Please accept this letter and the applied signatories as our formal request to you, our State & Federal Delegation, to include and (even) increase the Budgets on Programs that work. The National NIST-MEP Network alone provides a 14.4:1 Return on Investment nationally and 15.3:1 in New Jersey.
John W. Kennedy, Ph.D.
Sign the Petition