Why National Manufacturing Day Matters
Mark your calendars – Friday, October 7 is this year’s official National Manufacturing Day! Each year since 2012, the first Friday in October plays host to this special occasion.
The goal of Manufacturing Day is to dispel the common misconceptions about manufacturing by encouraging manufacturers to open their doors to educate the public about modern manufacturing. The events are specifically designed to connect with future generations, manage the public image of manufacturing and address the skilled labor shortage. Individual manufacturers coordinate with each other to voice their common concerns, discuss challenges and help their communities.
Stats about Manufacturing
- Did you know that U.S. manufacturing is the ninth largest economy in the world?
- Manufacturing supports more than 17. 6 million jobs
- Every $1.00 spent in manufacturing creates $1.37 of wealth for the U.S. economy
- Nearly 12% of the nation’s GDP is from manufacturing
- Manufacturing offers diverse career opportunities and well-paying jobs
- The average annual salary of a manufacturing engineer is $77k
- Manufacturing employees boast the highest job tenure in the private sector.
- Entry level engineers can have a starting salary as high as $60k per year
Manufacturers in New Jersey account for 8.5 percent of the total output in the state employing
6.1 percent of the workforce. Total output from manufacturing was $45.93 billion in 2014. There were 245,600 manufacturing employees in New Jersey in 2015. With manufacturing helping to drive our economic recovery, it is important for business and community leaders, legislators, students and educators to all understand how vital the manufacturing sector is to economic growth
You’re Invited: Annual Made in New Jersey Event
NJMEP is proud to announce our annual “Made in New Jersey” event on Friday, October 7th, 2016 to mark the fifth annual National Manufacturing Day The celebration is designed to expand knowledge of and improve the general public’s perception of manufacturing careers and the industry’s value to the economy. Our annual event in celebration of National Manufacturing Day will be held at The Palace at Somerset, New Jersey and will include:
- Continental Breakfast and Lunch
- Networking Opportunities
- Welcome & Opening Remarks
- Keynote Speeches
- Breakout Sessions
- 2016 New Jersey Manufacturing Awards
Read the recap from last year’s National Manufacturing Day celebration: click here.
Note: Manufacturers in our Made in New Jersey program receive two complimentary tickets to the event. New Jersey manufacturers can join this program at no cost and receive numerous benefits including a profile page in the Made in New Jersey online directory where you can showcase your products. Learn more
[otw_shortcode_button href=”/mfgday2016/” size=”large” icon_position=”left” shape=”square” css_class=”hs-button”]LEARN MORE ABOUT THE EVENT[/otw_shortcode_button]